People. It was approximately 14 degrees outside today. Labor Day is depressing enough, but at least I can always remind myself that although summer is over by the standards set forth by neighborhood pools everywhere, meteorologically I can still look forward to a few more weeks of hot weather before the Gregorian Calendar crushes my dreams and the Autumnal Equinox rears its ugly, ugly head. Which, coincidentally, the universe decided would be my birthday. Cruel irony!
Seriously. Here I am, 2 days post vacation, my tan-level at its annual peak, and last night I was all waaa wooww… back to work tomorrow… but hark! My cute-aqua-and-navy-blue-only-the-finest-from-Target-sundress is clean! Things are looking up! And then went outside at 7:00 with Chooch only to be met with a friggin’ Arctic blast. And a neighbor who said “Yea, it’s not supposed to get any warmer than this today.”
So, suddenly this snuggly long-sleeved cardigan also laying in the clean laundry pile was looking more inviting. I ended up wearing it and PANTS today. PANTS! I hate pants. I have one pair of work pants that I got only for days when it is literally, and not figuratively, 14 degrees outside. I definitely haven’t worn them since Memorial Day. BAH!
But in the interests of trying to cheer myself up about the impending cold weather, here are a few things I could think of that are OKAY about fall and winter.
- Jeans! I don’t like work pants but who doesn’t love jeans?! AMERICA HATERS, that’s who!
- Sweaters and Hoodies. Chunky turtlenecks, cable knit…. purr. And hoodies! I have 3 which is 2 more than I need (my college, little sister’s college, and… uhh… sorority letters), but geez do I love snuggling up in PJ pants and a hoodie in the winter. And speaking of college and hoodies, part of my attraction to them is probably all the comfort they brought me when the weather turned cold my second semester of freshman year and nothing else fit my portly self. Thanks for having my back, hoodies!
- Jeff in a Sweater. Sorry. Has to be said. It’s adorable. And when he rocks the khakis/dress shirt/tie/sweater-on-top combo on Casual Friday? Meow!
- Cold Weather Shoes and Accessories. Boots of all kinds (love), scarves (double love), snuggly little knit hats, MITTENS…. swoon!
- High School Football. We lived a quarter mile away from a high school for 2 years and despite me saying every 4 seconds “I want to go to a high school football game!!!” I never planned the date. I’ll make it happen this year. One of the few things I really liked about high school.
- Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentines, Lent… Cold months are a powerhouse of awesome holidays!
- Snoooww Dayys!!! What’s better than snow days? Oh… wait… I got this… NOTHING!
- American Idol. DUH!
- The Pennsylvania Farm Show. Bird calling competition, cow milking contests, hundreds of adorable piggies, and the yummiest milkshakes known to humankind? Uhh, yes please!
- The Fireplace When It’s Snowing Outside. Life is perfect in that moment.
- Many Months Till You Have to Put a Swimsuit on Again. BRING ON THE EGGNOG!
Unrelated but just something I wanted to document. Today I was eating a spinach salad (PHOOEY ON YOU, vacation detox!) and I guess got a little voracious (didn’t know that was possible with a barf-tastic spinach salad) and I freaking BIT a tine off my plastic fork. Oh my gosh. Traumatizing. OK that’s all.